ContraPoints drama proves how fucking weird fedi can be

Keep in mind, ContraPoints is an account made for deradicalizing nazis which was the primary focus before her transition. It’s called that because she represents both points of view in order to deconstruct the nazi. She is also a trans lesbian with a girlfriend and everything.

She’s been caught under fire for made up claims that she is a transmedicalist nazi due to poor wording from her Justine character who was meant to be representative of her working to undo harmful internal thoughts of her own gender, and she fully addressed the criticisms and apologized for it.

She’s also never pushed anything conservative or racist so no idea where that claim comes from.

Naturally, joining fedi, where most Mastodon users are the type who harassed her for years before they left Twitter, she’s already being made out to be some super villain. It’s so fucking annoying.

I genuinely hope she sticks around and just blocks those folks

we have 3 main thoughts on this:

1. the mastodon tendies are being shitheads
  2. breadtube is obnoxious in general
  3. we don’t want her on fedi mainly because she’s gonna bring over a ton of twitter microceleb parasocial bullshit from her followers, and we’re worried about Performative Discourse Culture happening on fedi moreso then it already has. contra stans are not any more free on guilt on that front then the orbiters of any other twitter influencer
1 Like

i will say the one breadtuber we can really stand is philosophytube but maybe that’s just because we watched her before breadtube was really a thing and she just made videos about philosophy education. and even still, we haven’t kept up with her vids in years

2 Likes

To be honest your last point makes me hope she stays lol.

I hate fedi’s policing culture so much

no that’s what i mean, i think it’ll make it worse. parasocial orbiting is what drove a lot of the harassment mobs on twitter. we want fedi to be a comfy space for hanging out with friends, not The Place The Celebrities Are

all of fedi’s worst traits, the fediblocking and smearing drama directly mirrors shit that was way more widespread on twitter. we sincerely hope the culture of that horrid site dies with it

(inb4 this gets screenshotted as racism because some black people used twitter too)

2 Likes

I get you. I think that it will actually help tho tbh, because part of why I think fedi has had this culture is because the community has been small enough that fedi’s e-celebs like the monads folks are so easily able to manipulate general discourse through fediblocks and such. Noyovo is a prime example of this as they’ve been documenting folks on fedi for years and had a list of all my alts once.

I think when fedi is big enough with enough people to disagree with the policing culture, people will learn to chill out or just set up allow list federation if they absolutely cannot get along with anyone outside of their online clique. They just won’t have the same power they did before, I think.

So I welcome the chaos lol

I don’t think that’s necessarily how it will turn out. we could also just end up with a highly fragmented fedi with admins passing around various bullshit blocklists with no examination of the veracity of their contents. And especially with corporate eyes on fedi in to a degree they weren’t previously, there’s going to be corporate actors looking to take advantage of the chaos and set up instances with algorithmic timelines and bullshit like that, which will only exacerbate the bullshit drama

1 Like

Seems like we’re headed one direction or another regardless :bobpeek: should be interesting to watch unfold

we’re just schizo and want our spaces to be left the fuck alone

if fedi gets ruined by the twitterbrains we’re moving to SSB. we killed those brainworms once, we’re not doing it again

2 Likes

:cherry_blossom: honestly we did not know until now that those things she said were the words of characters she was portraying, that would have been enormously useful context that nobody ever provided us before. I still do not like the entire parasocial culture around these youtube people but I may have been unfair to her.

im a huge contrapoints simp and i dont really watch youtube but i really like her vids, not an orbiter tho. shes pretty libby but like idc i like her

what’s ssb?

secure scutlebutt, its sort of like activitypub but peer-to-peer

1 Like