Current reads/reccommends

The novel I’m currently reading is The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet’s Nest by Steig Larsson. I would like some reccs as to what to read next, as since the pandemic I haven’t been reading much…

I’m on a The Dresden Files reread right now.

1 Like

I’m reading Children of Dune at the moment!

1 Like

I’m reading Shadow & Bone by Leigh Bardugo~

1 Like

That’s one book away from the best one!

Everyone says that God Emperor is the best. I wonder why (idk if its possible to say without spoilers tho.) I’m just getting through Children to get to God Emperor tbh.

1 Like

I’ve been doing a lot of comfort rereads lately and also trying to reread some herbalism texts (for information and dopamine I guess)
but I recently read that book everyone is talking about “I’m Glad My Mom Died”
and I have a book I want to recommend: “The Amy Virus” by TT Joyce
it’s about an autistic teenage girl who wants to play the drums but her parents are trying to force her to become a doctor and they believe her autism is “in remission” thanks to a really weird diet they have her on. I find it really relatable and I wish there were 10 more books like it.

1 Like

i’m reading foucault’s pendulum by umberto eco. kinda feels like a book my dad would read if he was really into the occult though lol

1 Like

oh also i’m reading Kafka on the Shore by Murakami. i love both of them a lot

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to read more Murakami! Also I’ve heard Umberto Eco is a really great author, I’ve heard The Name of the Rose, or something of that sort, was really good.

1 Like

I first read Norwegian Wood which I really liked but wasn’t really representative of his other works which are a lot more fantastical.

Also thanks! I read Foucault’s Pendulum because I heard John Dee was a character in it and I’m interested in occult history, but the wikipedia page for The Name of the Rose makes it sound really cool so I might try that one out next.

1 Like

I just read the Cyborg Manifesto, Xenofeminist Manifesto, and Liber Null and the Psychonaut

1 Like

Oh, that’s cool. I’ve always wanted to read Liber Null and the Psychonaut rings a bell too. How did you like those?

1 Like

it was one book called Liber Null and the Psychonaut
I found it to have interesting concepts and inspiring ideas for things to try, but it was extremely edgy and heterosexual in an off putting way
luckily there’s no problem in chaos magic with only taking what is useful to you

2 Likes

yeah the IOT (the writers of the liber nul & psychonaut) is just like the worst possible inheritors of austin osman spare’s thought. i mean his thought was also pretty heterosexual but like the whole point of chaos magic was that you didn’t have to do any of the ridiculous ritual stuff that crowley was doing and could just invent your own principals, and a lot of spare’s writing was about the way he specifically practiced magic and the IOT just kinda tried to recreate his system instead of using it to create their own

1 Like

this is kinda just what happens when you create a cultus, since practitioners benefit from having a shared magical language, but it’s not for everyone and sometimes people start to believe their own hype (like crowley tbh lol) and start making claims that go outside of the scope of the cult’s magical practice

1 Like

i’ve been reading the tranny book ‘what it feels like for a girl’, got halfway through in like a day and had to stop for a bit cause it was too heavy for me (very eye-opening and comedic at points tho gotta say) u’ve probably seen me post a bit bout it on fedi would rec. otherwise i’m getting through ‘an editor’s burial’ which is a collection of articles from the new yorker archives, compiled as a companion to the wes anderson film ‘the french dispatch’ (comfort film for me since it came out). very cute and interesting. makes me wish for a better time (i didn’t ever have the chance to live through) where print/text media wasn’t dead. (i don’t think text media is dead but it’s a lot less alive in the mainstream as it once was)

3 Likes

in the middle of a novel called “Lycanthropy and other chronic illnesses”. it’s really good so far