One thing you finally learned and wished you had sooner

I feel like this happens to me all the time…

Lately it’s databases. I only ever messed with them as like “How the hell do I make this SQL query return what I want?” but this YouTube vid on database design made me realize how much insight into what goes on “under the covers” I was missing. I’m just now getting around to learning DB design, albeit slowly but I am enjoying it and wish I had just gotten around to this years ago lol.

Anyone else?

3 Likes

how embarrassing, i made a post about general life advice.

I had a Commodore 64 growing up. I wanted to learn to make games on it, but you needed to know assembler. I lived in a rural area and had no mentors and access to no books. Finally, after over 30 years I started teaching myself Commodore 64 assembler, and it has been such a rewarding experience.

3 Likes

Definitely data modeling. One key skill I think is useful is thinking about the best way of storing, accessing, and indexing data. Normalizing data for SQL databases or knowing when to use something else like a document store is a very powerful tool. I’m still working on this myself but learning about db internals have certainly helped with this!

2 Likes

Actually learning Lua properly probably.
It’s actually a nice language, I was just really relunctant to do anything with it due to the syntax being weird.

4 Likes

Lua is such a cute little language. Minus the couple of weird syntactic quirks, I genuinely think it’s a better, simpler Python.

1 Like

… learning about db internals have certainly helped with this!

Hashtag goals, that’s I think where I’m at in my journey into the world of database. I’m not even thinkin about NoSQL stuff or the in-memory DBs yet heh…

Actually learning Lua properly probably.

Lua would open doors for you making games for sure (if you’re into that sorta thing):

I thought this console was the coolest thing but they’re hard to come by last time I checked (super long waiting list). Might be better now, not sure

Well I mean, I am planning to use Lua for games… but like as an extension language for the engine I’m making (really it’s just fucking around with abusing OpenGL with no real goal).

3 Likes

Mostly that you don’t actually have to know how to read code to write code and that trying to look at written code to learn like you would with a foreign language, isn’t that indicative of how much you know

1 Like